Structure and Dynamics of Molecular Machines
Recent advances in the field of biophysics have led to an array of novel imaging techniques that allow biological processes to be studied at the single-molecule level. These new tools provide an unprecedented glimpse of the machines of life in action, revealing key transient intermediate states within complex biochemical pathways. Using these novel methodologies, we seek to develop a general framework for understanding how networks of intra- and inter-molecular interactions can evolve to guide the dynamic properties of multiprotein complexes. To this end, current research in our group is focused on understanding how macromolecular complexes responsible for DNA replication are organized and how enzymatic events at the replication fork are dynamically coordinated to ensure chromosome integrity.
In this project, you will study the molecular consequences of encounters between DNA replication complexes and various obstacles, including unfavorable topological forms and architectural factors. Several novel single-molecule imaging approaches will be used. Arrays of single DNA molecules will be monitored and manipulated using microfluidics to characterize replication kinetics. Multicolor single-molecule fluorescence studies will be conducted to monitor changes in subunit composition. Ultimately, key structural intermediates will be characterized using a variety of techniques in collaboration with other research groups. The institute provides a vibrant scientific community with 33 research groups in diverse areas and the strong academic centers of Munich nearby.
- Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e. V.
- Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry
- Name: Herr Dr. Karl Duderstadt
- Forschung und Entwicklung
- You have completed a Bachelors in Biophysics, Biochemistry, or a related field, and have a strong interest in dynamic studies of biological processes using structural and single-molecule approaches. Skills in protein biochemistry, programming, and a basic knowledge of kinetic analysis would be ideal, but are not required. You should have a strong desire to pursue a multidisciplinary collaborative project working closely with others. Creative and independent thinking will be key for the successful completion of the project.
- The salary level will be according to TVöD (Bund) (public salary scale).
The position is open immediately and the expected duration of PhD is about 1-2 years.
The Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in areas in which they are underrepresented. We therefore are particularly encouraging qualified women to apply. The Max Planck Society further aims to hire more people with disabilities, and applications of candidates with disabilities are encouraged.
TIPP: Dein Profil wird dem Unternehmen übermittelt. Erziele einen besseren Eindruck, indem Du es vollständig ausfüllst.